Subject: Re: First M
From: Paul Schliesser <paulsc@eos.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 97 19:13:19 -0400

>I am considering an M4-P as my first M body and would appreciate comments
>relative to it, M2 & M3.

Tom,

The only significant differences between models are the loading system,
the viewfinders, and whether or not they have a meter built in. There are
also some minor ones, such as whether they take a winder or whether they
have a self timer.

Other than the viewfinders, the main difference between the models you
mention is that the M3 and M2 have the older loading sytem. You need to
remove the takeup spool, clip the film leader on it, and then insert the
spool and cassette into the camera. This is not a big deal, but it is
slower than the other models, which have a "rapid load" spool which is
not removed during loading. The M3/M2 loading can take a lot of hands,
since you need to hold the camera, the baseplate (which is removed for
goes into my armpit or pocket when I'm loading my M3. Both of these
cameras (M2 & M3) also have a rewind knob instead of a crank. You extend
the little knob and twist it to rewind, which is slower than the crank on
the other cameras. It's all part of the fun of an M3.

The M3 has the largest viewfinder image and a somewhat more accurate
rangefinder. The M2 is similar to the M4 and M4-2, except for the loading
sytem and the fact that it lacks the 135mm frame. The M4-2 and M4-P lack
a self timer. Some M2 bodies do and some do not have one.

The older "double stroke" M3 differs from the "single-stroke" model in
that it requires two strokes of the winding lever after each frame. Most
DS bodies also have the old-style shutter speeds, and many lack a frame
preview lever. Most DS bodies have triangular strap lugs, which makes
them easy to spot.

- - Paul