Subject: Re: Anyone Using a Monopod?
From: ted grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 10 Aug 97 14:10:41 EDT

Richard Clompus wrote:

<<<I wonder if you could get a significant increase in sharpness with the use of
a monopod using a shutter speed range of 1/1000 to 1/60.>>>

Hi Richard:

FWIW:  When covering the olympics and other major internationl events of similar
nature, photographers are not allowed to use tripods, period! And regardless of
lens length they can only use monopods or hand hold.

I have worked up to an 800 on monopod and regularly 400 - 560 for days on end
during the Games.  They are very effective with long glass and of late I have
been using one with my 70-180. Never thought I'd see the day I would admit not
being able to hand hold a little bitty 70-180. :)

It isn't that I can't hand hold it, it's when I get down to 1/30th and 1/15 that
I get into trouble and blow frames. And that's not my style at slow shutter
speeds.  Besides it's a tad on the heavy side.

I would be careful at aqcuiring a "too light in weight" monopod.as I'm sure it
would be just the same as having one of those thin legged light weight usless
tripods.  Light and wiggly, doesn't make for sharp images in either tripod nor
monopod.

If you are going to get one, get a good solid sturdy one, besides they make a
good head banger if some guy thinks he's going to rip off your gear.  I have a
Gitzo with a solid rubber hand section at the top, right below the lens mount
and the sections extend to about 6 feet.

When you stretch it out, always work with the thickest sections first as that
allows better stability rather than pulling out the smallest sections. Obviously
you will eventually have to pull them out for the correct shooting level.

Always put the monopod on the lens if it has a mounting collar, otherwise you
put too much strain on the lens mount in the camera body. Besides it makes for
better stability mounted into the lens.

ted