Subject: Blind test
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 12:21:38 +0200

It is well known that colour neg film (in whatever speed range) is a vey
effective killer of optical quality, and so using colour neg film it is
hardly possible to analyse (objectively) or perceive (subjectively) any
real differences between lenses or between apertures of a certain lens.
When on holiday my girlfriend and I shot the same scenes on the same
film (Kodak GPX: a really excellent fiilm and Ektar 200). She used a
Canon 500, with a standard zoom (28-85). I used my M6 with lenses 28 to
90. The sun shining clearly all shots were done at 5.6 or smaller and
the sun naturally enhanced the inherent contrast of the scenes.
At home the films went to a normal lab and after that we mixed the
prints (all 10x15cm), suitably marked at the backside, and asked
experienced photographers to select the M pictures. No one could.
The upshot:
on colour neg and shooting in the sun  and using apertures of 5,6 and
smaller all lenses perform equally well. In fact the labs equipment is
the only important factor here.
IMHO thats the reason why so often the discussion about the relative
merits of lenses of several marques is so inconclusive.
It also tells you why the quality compacts of today can outshine their
more expensive brothers. I saw recently colour negs , printed at A4
format taken with the new Leica minizoom. The subject was indeed quite
critical. If the person had told me it was taken with a M camera I would
have believed him!
Erwin