Subject: Re: Motors, Winders, Handgrips, & Tripods
From: "Thomas J. Donovan" <75674.3465@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 09 Aug 97 12:32:27 EDT

Jim Brick,

>>Hand holding a camera at less than 1/1000 sec....will result in reduced
quality<<

Not to dispute your experience :~); but, to try to integrate your insights with
what I've read & observed myself, I've got to inquire along the following path:

Let's take a lens I use a lot for hand held portraits, my 90mm Elmarit; per
Brian Bower in " Leica Reflex photography", he'd recommend no lower than 1/250
or 1/500 second. Now you use the R-winders a lot, & ever since a Leica seminar
with Ted Grant; I've been using one myself off & on with the R7/90 combo.

My R8s seems to have a lot less mirror vibration than my R7s throughout the
range. And I don't know what impact my R-winder has on overall vibration at the
lower shutter speeds. Thus, my questions are as follows: 1.) Is the R-winder's
vibration  (R7/90 ) a cumulative factor, which underlies your experience,
requiring the
1/1000 second shutter speed to optimize hand held quality? 2.) If the Winder is
a cumulative factor ( vibration ), does it make sense to get one for my R8;
since my low light work with the R8 has yielded some sharp shots at the lower
shutter speeds?

And then there's the issue of a hand grip; how does it enter into the equation
:~)?

Granted nothing beats a tripod; however, I really like to try to optimize the
available light equation ( film speed, f-stop/shutter speed , camera vibration,
& body shake ); because, I've gotten my most interesting shots, under these low
light/candid moments!

Tom D.