Subject: Re: Motors vs. Winders
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 1997 08:47:29 -0700

At 08:56 AM 8/8/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Dear Fellow LUGnuts,
>
>Jim Brick wrote:
><snip> And the motor winders never leave my cameras...
>
>I own the first versioon of the Leica winder.  I used it when I owned a
>M4-P and found it made the camera much larger and heavier.  I don't use it
>much at this point.  I never understood why Leica couldn't make a winder
>half the size it did for the M cameras.  Leica should look at this issue
>again.  With micro motors and coreless DC motors, perhaps they could come
>up with a truely compact winder for the M Leica cameras.
>
>I have used winders (2 frames per second) on a Canon AE-1 (I'm dating
>myself)  and with my Canon F1n.  They work well but again make the camera
>larger and heavier.  My Canon T90 is the best with an integrated 4 frames
>per second winder.
>
>If I was going to get a motor for the R 6.2, would fellow LUGers recommend
>the winder or the motor?  Since I plan to use it for along time, the cost
>difference between the two is not significant.  I do not have to take lots
>of action shots but do use the camera on a copy stand a lot for macro work.
> I guess in that case I should get the lens tripod mount adapter for the
>100mm Apo macro lens.  With the combined weight of this lens, camera and
>motor, it would weigh at least 5 pounds.
>
>Richard

Richard,

I have never used my winders any way other than single shots. I do not
shoot action very often (.01%) therefore the fps of a motor or winder is of
no value to me. I prefer the winder as it is smaller and lighter. For me,
the winder is just to advance the film without having to take my attention
away from my subject or risk moving an awkward setup. The electric "cable"
release is nice. With the extension, it allows the camera to be released
from a distance. The electric release, however, does not work in
conjunction with MLU therefore 75% of the time I have to use a standard
cable release.

Jim