Subject: Re: Motors vs. Winders
From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@iol.ie>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 15:37:40 +0100

Richard Clompus wrote from vacation (envy! envy!)

>I have used winders (2 frames per second) on a Canon AE-1 (I'm dating
>myself)  and with my Canon F1n.  They work well but again make the camera
>larger and heavier.  My Canon T90 is the best with an integrated 4 frames
>per second winder.
>
>If I was going to get a motor for the R 6.2, would fellow LUGers recommend
>the winder or the motor?  Since I plan to use it for along time, the cost
>difference between the two is not significant.  I do not have to take lots
>of action shots but do use the camera on a copy stand a lot for macro work.
> I guess in that case I should get the lens tripod mount adapter for the
>100mm Apo macro lens.  With the combined weight of this lens, camera and
>motor, it would weigh at least 5 pounds.

I think Richard gets to the heart of the matter - it depends entirely what
applications you're planning to use a motor or winder for.

The only motors I've got are on my two Canons - an A1 and an even older F1.
I think I've actually had them zipping through an entire film in ten
seconds odd about twice in my entire life. Most of the time I could have
done equally well with a much lighter winder.

Funnily enough, I find auto wind-on most useful for portaiture when the
camera's on a tripod. I can then just wander round the impromptu studio
with a long air release chatting to the sitter and watching for the 'right'
expressions.

Motors are also useful for making the 'pro' thoroughly envious at weddings,
though woe betide you if you upstage him or her too much!

Slan

Alex

Alex Hurst
Cork Florists