Subject: Re: Where Angels Fear To Tread
From: "Roger Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 08:54:54 -0700

> >I have a suggestion to toss around.  How about using a prefix code in the
> >subject box & members could quickly delete what they weren' interested in.

If the list comes to this, a recognition that anything at all will be
tolerated on what is supposed to be a Leica specific list, then it will
truly have become the list for whatever anyone cares to talk about and I
want nothing of it.

I subscribed because I want to talk Leica. The occasional off topic thread
*will* creep in, but it can be controlled by intelligent use. To abandon
the concept of a dedicated list is fine if that's what you want, but not
for me.

A big problem is that many are looking to this list as a means of
discussing ALL of their photographic interests, not to mention social,
humor etc. The way to do that properly is to be active on the Usenet
and/or subscribe to lists that cater to photographic ethic, darkroom, etc.
It's a big INTERNET out there and there are all kinds of way to indulge
yourself.

A list that has the same owner and server is the Rollei list. It gives the
lie to the notion that a regulated list is a dead list. The subscribers
there regulate themselves and, yes, it is a smaller list, but when you
download its content, it will be mostly on topic and what the subscriber
expects to see in a dedicated list. Same with the Submini-L list.

A dedicated list, in no way, is attempting to limit your personal freedom,
or in the case of the U.S. subscribers, your First Amendment Rights. It is
only attempting to give a specific interest list to those who subscribe.
Ask yourself, why did I subscribe? In virtually all cases, the answer will
be, "because I'm interested in things Leica". It's after you got here and
began having fun that you start looking for this one list to be THE LIST
for all purposes.

Periodically, I reach the point of exhaustion on this list. This is
another of those. If you want/need me I'm available via private email or
the "other Leica list". Those that know of it, can enjoy the specificity.

Wiedersehen!
- --
Roger Beamon
       Naturalist & Photographer