Subject: Re: M6 viewfinder magnification
From: Stephen <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 11:01:31 -0700

H. S. Lam wrote:

> Stephen wrote:
>
> > M viewfinder magnifications and Effective RF Base Lengths are
> discussed
> > at my site  http://cameraquest.com/leica.htm
> >
> > Stephen Gandy

> Hi Stephen,
> I have visited your site ( a great site which I have book-marked ) on
> rangefinder effective base lengths, but I think the M2 has a slightly
> higher magnification (may be 0.85X ) than the M6 as its largest frame
> accomodates only the 35 mm. lens while the M6 can take the 28 mm.
> lens.
> I have both the M2 & M6 for comparison.

Hi, it might seem that way, but every Leica reference I have ever seen
agrees that the VF magnification for the M2/M4/M5/M4-2/M4-P/M6 is the
same,  .72.   Occasionally you will see it rounded to .7.
Apparently the M6 has an increased field of view which allows the
inclusion of the 28, while the magnification remains the same.

Regards,

Stephen Gandy