Subject: Re: Leica-Users List Digest V1 #582
From: Chris Bitmead <ChrisB@ThePla.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 19:57:27 +1000

>As a weird aside, the F3 which is built as a MF body, can be upgraded to AF
>by the addition of the AF prism. I've never seen or held one, but I've read
>about it in several places and have seen the prisms offered for sale (very
>pricey).

Hmm. I thought the F3-AF was a different camera. Otherwise how did the
prism communicate with the lens. I always assumed the F3AF had some
electrical contacts on the mount for this purpose.

Certainly the F3AF had "F3 AF" inscribed specially on the body. Of
course there were only about 2 or 3 lenses ever made that would work.

>I missed the beginning of this thread, is the prism on the R8 fixed? If
>Leica were to engineer AF for the 8, it would have to be in the lenses. I
>don't know of any manufacturers who have done this, but...

Undoubtedly if Leica ever made AF they would need a new body. And
unless they did the Contax AX thing I guess they would need new lenses
too.