Subject: Re: Leica M6 and Contax G2
From: bholmes@frii.com (Ben Holmes)
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 11:09:16 -0600 (MDT)

>The problem I have with the Contax G bodies and many other electronic
>cameras is not that they are electronic, but that they are hightly
>automated and are clumsy to use manually, the way I prefer to work.

Have you noticed that when you are up close on a face you tend to rock back
and forth with the focus to get the eyes sharp? This is especially important
when working wide open - DOF is almost nonexistant. What I've noticed with
AF is that it never seems to focus where I would. I guess you could fiddle
with a joy stick or somesuch to make the AF pattern match your composition,
but isn't it just as easy to manual focus?

>I'm in my early 40s; reading my own message, it sounds like I may be
>reaching "old fart" status a little early.

According to most scientists, OFS (old fart status) begins at 33 1/3 yrs.

>May I assume from your signature that the serial numbers are back? Thanks!
>
>- Paul

Yes, you may assume that. In fact, I've let the classifieds page die,
rebuilt the serial numbers, and added a links page which includes an easy
way to get to Hans' page, a link to Erwin's page, and a link to Leica Camera.

I just looked at Erwin's page for the first time, and it's really very nice.
Nice pics, they kinda remind me of Dan C's work. Although, I should warn
you, old farts risk heart palpitations when viewing such lovely creatures.

Regards,

Ben W. Holmes
Boulder, CO

Visit my web site at http://www.frii.com/~bholmes/