Subject: Re: 50 Summicron DR Update
From: wilcox@umcc.umcc.umich.edu (Ken Wilcox)
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 10:46:23 -0400

>At 09:00 AM 8/4/97 -0400, Alf wrote:
>>Dennis Laney [(1995-2): Leica Collectors Guide. Hove Collectors Books,
>>p130-136],
>>says also, that the rigid Summicron has been "identical in all details" to
>>the screw  version (p 132), and that this version was available till 1957.
>>Maybe someone knows the weight of the 6 lens Summicron. Than you (maybe) can
>>deduct, whether you have the 7 or 6 lens version.
>

>Well, Laney is wrong on this.  (I've corresponded with him on this;  he was
>formerly one of my publishers.)
>
>It has now been established that the collapsible and rigid/NF Summicron
>designs -- both of which are seven-element -- are slightly different in
>design.  That's why the rigid/NF lens outperforms the collapsible, ever so
>slightly, on most lens tests.
>
>Marc

All you really have to do to confirm Marc's information is measure the
distance from the front element to the film plane on the collapsible and
rigid versions. You will find that they are different. Would this be
possible if they were the same formula?

kw

- ----
LHSA, MEA, LAW                         preferred---> <wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>