Subject: Re: M6 Test Results
From: Stephen <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 1997 23:20:13 -0700

> So let me ask you luggers,
>
> a.) what are the chances of getting an M6 that would immediately need
> attention (adjustment, etc.) in the 1st 6 months of ownership ? in
> other
> words, after I buy one, what are the chances of it going wrong or
> having
> defect ?

small.  the M6 is a dependable camera.  not perfect, but still
excellent.

> b.) can these adjustments & defect be detected while you are in the
> store
> playing with it ?

depends upon whats wrong and how experienced you are.  chances are there
is realistically nothing to worry about in terms of it being delivered
"defective."

> c.) for as long as I don't drop it, bang it, etc.. what are the
> chances of
> it to go wrong ? assuming I bought it brand new ?

small.  don't worry about it.  100 years from now, we will all be dead
anyway.

> d.) how different is the new 90/2.8 elmarit vs. the 90/2.8 Elmarit
> (1980
> built) and the 35/2.0 summicron (new) vs. the 35/1.4 summicron M ?
> would i
> expect the same results as the ones I got today ?

The newer lenses are better and a lot more $$.  If you are hand holding
shots at medium and low shutter speeds, these factors may mask the
improvements in optics by increasing camera shake.  Lenses are tested on
tripods or benches.  We should be testing the photogs too if they like
to hand hand hold shots..

> e.) Taking the risk of the body going wrong, should I go for it ?

Yes, personally I like the Titanium finish more than the chrome more
than the Black, but most people will probably choose black.

In the last analysis, its only a camera and its only money.  Worst
case,  you can always sell it.   But seriously, its still a great camera
and system.

 Just don't expect it to be perfect, anymore than we are.   Just buy it.

> f.) for those G2/G1 owners as well, how much different in character
> are the
> G lenses compared to the leica m lenses ?

don't know, not a Contax owner.  Zeiss. ugh.  ha ha. that a Marc joke.
sorry.

Stephen Gandy