Subject: Re: SAN FRANCISCO, YOSEMITE etc..
From: "Charles E. Albertson" <chucko@ricochet.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 22:24:34 -0700

	Well...I've already sent Lucien some suggested additions to his itinerary
by private mail, and won't belabor those here.  But even though I won't
travel to LA or Vegas unless I am under some form of enforceable subpoena,
I'm hard-pressed to recommend that any visitor from overseas skip a visit
to those places, at least once. Hell, let him experience some of the
excesses of gringo culture (cf. Hunter S. Thompson's observation that Las
Vegas "is what the whole hep world would be doing on Saturday night if the
Nazis had won the war."). Even Leitz, when they rolled out the original
35mm Summilux Aspherical in 1990, used pictures of Vegas at night to
illustrate the article in Leica Fotografie, and I thought they were pretty
good pictures. For good or ill (and I favor the latter), those places are
as much a part of the landscape of the American West as the Grand Canyon,
though they're unlikely to last as long.

Chuck Albertson
Seattle, Wash.

At 11:05 AM 7/30/97 EDT, you wrote:
>To:  >INTERNET:Leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
>
>Lucien,
>
>     For a trip in the heat of August, I myself would forget
>anything south of Zion (esp. Death Valley; unless you have specific
>reasons, I'd skip L.A. and/or Vegas too) and instead, perhaps,
>drive north on the coast from SF to Eureka, maybe even up to Olympic
>Nat'l Park or Mt Rainier; but your choice.  (If you don't have time for
>that, then at least drive _down_ the coast a little from SF to
>Monterey/Big Sur.)  If you're interested in archaeology as well as
>nature, consider places like Mesa Verde Nat'l Park in the corner of
>Colorado, and come see the Rocky Mountains while you're at it.

	[balance snipped]