Subject: Re: Ferdinand's M6 Ownership Survey
From: John Gilbert <gilbertj@merlin.net.au>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 97 00:00:21 +0930

I have sent the following to Ferdinand in response to his call for
comments about user's experiences with the M6 and wonder if it strikes a
chord with any other LUGers. I apologise for the length of the posting
but, since I have lurked on the list without posting for about 7 months,
I hope you will forgive me.

I have bought three new M series Leicas. An M4-P in 1981, an M6 in 1987
and another M6 in 1995. On each occasion they were bought with the
current 50/2 Summicron lens. In each case, with rigorous testing of the
rangefinder accuracy, I found problems. Each would not accurately focus
the lens at full aperture (f2). I used to test this by focussing on a
narrow, easily focussed target object like a spotting paintbrush placed
at right angles to a steel tape ruler extended out on the floor away from
the camera. The camera was placed on a tripod above the end of the ruler
and tilted 90 degrees for a "portrait" format photograph. When the camera
was carefully focussed on the paintbrush at varying distances, you could
see the actual depth of field on the ruler on the magnified negative and
see its relationship to the position of the paintbrush. In each case at
f2 the sharpest focus was offset from the paintbrush such that the
paintbrush was not in the zone of sharp focus.

The M4-P turned out to have an inaccurately set rangefinder adjustment
(ie. the camera's rangefinder was incorrectly set). This was promptly
fixed by the Leica service centre in Sydney. There were no problems with
the lens.

The 1987 M6 also would not focus accurately at full aperture. The problem
in this case was the rangefinder cam on the lens being incorrectly set
up. The lens had to go back to Wetzlar. It took 6 months for the lens to
come back to Australia but they loaned me a Summilux in the meantime. The
problem was fixed.

In 1995, I thought it would be "third time lucky". Not! The lens, the
current chrome version of the Summicron, also turned out to have an
inaccurate cam. Back to Solms. Three month wait. It then focussed
correctly but I did notice that they had slightly marred the chrome
finish just forward of the focussing ring. Groan! I didn't pursue the
matter any further.

Other lenses that I have bought new and secondhand occasionally show this
problem too. It seems to be less of a problem with wide angle lenses
(because of their inherently greater depth of field) and in the more
expensive short teles (75mm/f1.4, 90 mm/f2). Better quality control? I
haven't had the chance to test out the 50 mm Summilux or Noctilux. Off
course any lens that has had non-Leica service is also suspect.

I have become cynical about Leica's quality control. This is the company
that used to use the slogan "Leica means precision worldwide".

Not many users would pick this fault unless they were regularly shooting
wide open and critically examining their images. Experience with one
owner, mint condition M3 and M2 cameras with intact original wax seals
and their original accompanying standard lenses suggests that this
problem may not have been so prevalent in the good old days.

Common faults that occur in the M6 are meter failure, probably due to
wear, corrosion or breakage of the electrical contacts underneath the
shutter speed knob (the only moving parts in the meter system), and
vertical misalignment of the two rangefinder images. The latter is very
common in secondhand M6's to varying degrees and may be due to the
delicate rangefinder mechanism being bumped out of alignment. Fortunately
it is easy to get fixed.

Having been burnt three times, I am reluctant to buy new Leica M6's any
more. I prefer to save money and buy secondhand ones that I can check out
fully before purchase with a range of lenses. Mind you, the problem is
not limited to Leica. In the last two weeks I have tested two secondhand
mint minus Contax G2 outfits in a similar fashion and found a 90 mm f2.8
Sonnar lens that was out of whack and a G2/35 mm Planar f2 combination
that would not focus sharply at full aperture. In each case the lenses
were inherently sharp but not where I wanted them to be.

Despite not using Leicas at the moment, I wistfully lurk on the LUG list
and enjoy the postings of current users of both R and M series equipment.
I am currently shooting with a Hasselblad 203FE and a Mamiya 6. The
latter is very much like an oversized M6 and has sharp lenses but a few
develop vertical misalignment of the rangefinder images which, again, is
easy to fix.

Obsessively-compulsively,

John Gilbert
gilbertj@merlin.net.au