Subject: Re: M use
From: Paul Schliesser <paulsc@eos.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 97 23:58:37 -0400

><< It's like the very popular
> 1/8000th shutter speed - you need it once in your live - if ever. >>
>
>I need the 1/200 flash sync speed several times a year - and this is the main
>reason for having a 1/8000 shutter.

I use the fast speeds to shoot with large aperatures in bright light,
with fast film. I did a shoot once of construction workers. I had been
told that they would be working in dark interiors, but as it turned out,
much of it was outside in bright sunlight. I had brought only fast film.
I wanted to shoot them with large aperatures to separate the workers from
the background, both in the interiors and exteriors. Because I had 3
speeds available above 1/1000, I was able to do this. If I had 1/1000 as
the top speed, I would have been limited to about f/5.6 or f/8 at best
for the outside shots--it was really bright.

I would not have planned it that way, but one nice thing is that the
grain matched on all of the shots.

- - Paul