Subject: Re: M use
From: "Lucien_vD@compuserve.com" <Lucien_vD@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 13:23:04 -0400

Detlef wrote:

>sharpness is a technical term and does not affect the creativ quality of=
>picture.

Not always true.

>Otherwise you should get all books of Ansel Andams, get yourself a
>Sinar, use the Zone system, a special developer, push development... Or
>what do you do with your "sharp" but only 1/2 of the possible
>brightness/contrast covering images?

Like Oddmund sayed : Apple and orange.

>What I'm trying to say with my
>Nikon-english is: the possible difference in quality of a Leica lens wil=
>not, in a remarkable way, change the quality of the resulting image.
>Leica got famous with their cameras when they use lenses which, compared=

>any modern lens of any brand, today would never get your attention. How
did
>the photographers in former times get those great images?

Again: apple and orange. =

>I will agree if somebody (like me) choose the M6 because of a special
>handling of this camera. But there is no objective reason for the price

I don't agree, the quality of the construction of the lenses =

(if you don't consider the sharpness) is not comparable.
And when the other makers try to reach Leica, the prices are comparable.

>and if the Leica lenses are better then a Nikon lens - it doesn't matter=

in 99%
>of all possible cases.

I don't agree. Wide open or against the light a Leica lens is almost
always better than the others and that matter a lot for me.

>I read some ideas why the R8 is better then a F5 or... For example: a
>professional sport photographer will choose a Nikon or a Canon - not
<because of the quality or the price - because of the service both
companies
>offer for a pro photographer. Leica has nothing like this. =

True.

>Did you ever try
>to get a Leica back from repair in under 2 month? Nearly impossibel.

Not always true, depending of a lot of parameter, but I agree that is not=

normal.

>Try to rent a special tele lens for the next olympic games
>- no problem with Nikon or Canon.

I know.

>P.S.: The Fuiji Velvia produces much better results then the Kodachrome
>with my M6... for my feeling.

It was just an exemple.

Remember, I also use Nikons for what they are better : AF !

As you can see I'm not tired anymore.
I had a very nice week-end in Paris.

Lucien
BELGIUM