Subject: Eyepiece Shutter
From: "Roger Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 08:41:54 -0700

Had a few minutes to kill before leaving, so. . .

Here's what my R6.2 User Manual says about the eyepiece shutter, Jim.
I had an extra manual for the R7 that I traded to Chatterton when I bought
the 6.2 and appropriately enough, it reads exactly the same

"Eyepiece Shutter
The silicon photodiode of the exposure meter is located in the base of the
camera, where it protected from stray light. Normally, therefore, there is
little likelihood of light entering the viewfinder eyepiece and affecting
exposure-meter readings, except when you are not using the viewfinder,
e.g. for taking photographs from a tripod, when direct sunlight or bright
artificial light may enter through the eyepiece. To prevent this, turn the
knob of the eyepiece shutter at the left of the eyepiece in the direction
of the arrow. When the shutter is in place, a white triangle appears in
the eyepiece."

On a tripod, I slavishly follow the above, particularly when using long
exposures and closed down aperture to gain DOF. Of course, then the
ambient light is generally low so it becomes less of a concern. Well, I
said slavish!
- --
Roger Beamon
       Naturalist & Photographer