Subject: Re: M-lens question
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 1997 18:04:50 -0400

At 01:29 PM 27-07-97 PDT, Bill wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I am about to make a big investment.  I shoot slides and some prints
>professionally.  Generally I shoot ASA 50-100 color film.
>
>Here is my question.  Does the 35 f1.4 (asph) yield significantly better
>images than the 35 f2 or the 35 f1.4 when one is shooting at an f-stop
>equal to or greater than f2?  I guess what I am asking is, Do the
>results of the 35 f1.4 aspherical lens justify the additional expense?

Since I own both the regular 35 Summilux (recently discontinued) and the 35
Summilux aspherical (1st version, assumed the same as current ASPH
version), I feel that I can give a partial answer to this question.  If you
never plan on using the lens wide open, you would be better off with the
older regular 35/1.4.  I can't tell any difference between the two at small
lens openings when viewing normal sized prints or slides.  There IS a big
difference wide open.

Another point to consider is that the ASPH lenses, being fairly new,
haven't hit the used market to the same extent as the older versions.  I
have seen many 35/1.4 summiluxes for sale as used lenses, at an appreciable
discount to the new (non ASPH) version.  When comparing a used 35/1.4 in
excellent condition to a new 35/1.4 ASPH, dolar for dollar, there is no
contest.

I don't own the 35/2 so I can't comment on it.

Dan C.