Subject: Re: 70-180 vs. The World
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 16:30:38 -0800

ted grant wrote:
> I can still hand hold my 280 2.8 easier and have a higher ratio of
> sharp images at slow shutter speeds than I can the 70-180!
>
> So Dave from real world practice, I have to say it is difficult to hold and
> shoot slow shutter speeds. :(  Damn!
Ted,

On a serious note, I wonder if it is the R8?  Have you compared shooting
the 280 with the R8??  I've held the 70-180 and it seems very
comfortable, more so than the Nikkor 80-200.

BTW, one thing Ishot this week was barefoot waterskiing.  The skier was
awesome and I was shooting from a camera boat at 50mph along side and
shooting with 80-200 and gyro stabilizer at 125/sec for much of it.
Should be awesome blurry backgrounds and water streaks and (I hope) pin
sharp skier.  We'll see by Monday.  And I don't have any idea how I
might have managed without AF with skier moving side to side very
quickly and I was doing push-pull framing.  On the near side we were so
close I had full body filling frame with the 80mm.

I even wonder, for one frivolous moment, what it might be light to try
shooting such stuff with a rangefinder.  Then I just had a beer.

Donal Philby
Shasta Lake, California