Subject: Re: Leitz car + other daily bothers
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 11:27:33 -0700

At 12:46 PM 7/25/97 -0400, you wrote:
>All,
>
>Please feel free to disagree loudly with what I'm about to write.
>
>Though I make no pretense toward being a paragon of virtue when it comes to
>informative postings, I'm a touch perturbed by the sheer volume of inane
>ramblings that are filling my mailbox each day.
>
>I just came back from an 8 day trip and, thanks to this list, had 432
>messages waiting for me. Now, I might not mind such mail volumes if it were
>all as informitive as Erwin Puts postings, but sadly, the majority of what
>I came back to was idle banter and subject-free chatter.

Well... this is why it's fun belonging to a list like this. Put all of
these people in a room, are they just going to robotically talk tech. Nope.
People have personalities. If the personality cannot show through, with a
little fun, why bother. I neither want to talk to a robot, nor hear from
one. I left the Prophoto list for that very reason. The list owners were
constantly sending messages, stopping threads, yelling at people for
including some of the original message in a reply, "THIS THREAD CLOSED!!!"
"DON'T SEND ORIGINAL MESSAGE" "INAPPROPRIATE SUBJECT". 50% (an
exaggeration) of the messages were from the list owners griping at the
participants. Who needs this. While on there, I just lurked because who
wants to participate in gestapo regulation. Not me. I bailed and never
looked back.

I agree that there is a lot of idle chatter here but look at these people
as your friends. If you want creative answers to questions, you cannot put
limits on participation. Lists do regulate themselves. Threads get old,
people start pushing delete, people come, people go, there are cool
periods, and hot periods. This just happens to be a hot period. Hang in
there... it'll cool off, and then you will wonder if your e-mail is broken.

Jim