Subject: Re: Some thoughts on the R8 ...
From: "Roger Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 08:34:55 -0700

On 25 Jul 97,  ted grant wrote:

<snip>

> I guess someday Leica may have an autofocus system to effectively drive
> the big glass quickly, but quite frnkly I'm not holding my breathe. And
> it isn't a big deal in any event.  Besides with Leica prices the damn
> autofocus will only add another $3000.00 to the price of an R whatever!

Sure they will, it's in the cards already with the R8 as the toe in the
water. They must and they will. If they can craft one that is as fast as
the F5 & EOS1n, AND offer manual focus as good as it now is in R cameras,
they'll have something. As good as the EOS1n and the F5 are, they fall
down a notch when the operator chooses to do the focusing. Focusing rings
are less than smooth and the viewfinders, while fine at AF, are poor in
manual focusing.

Yes it will be Leica priced, but can not be outlandish. Right now the F5
is priced higher in the U.S. than is the R8. With that "breathing room",
Leica will come up with AF at higher than R5, but "Leica higher" which
will allow us rich folk to continue to pursue our lust for Leica.
- --
Roger Beamon
       Naturalist & Photographer
       Leica Historical Society Of America