Subject: RE: M use
From: Tore Larsen <tore@cs.uit.no>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 20:16:39 +0200

Ferdinand,

I bought my M6 (w/ 35/2, 50/2 & 90/2) three years ago after having used a
Nikon EL2 (35/2, 50/1.4, 135/x, & AW) for seventeen years since that camera
was introduced in 1977. Let me share my experiences with both systems:
My EL2 came with a small damage on the focusing screen. After about 15
years I had the camera adjusted as a precaution. This was expensive and
proved to be unnecessary. I also had two of the lenses adjusted as the
threading felt a bit loose. This was against the advice of my dealer who
thought the lenses were still fine. The EL2 winder never seemed solid, and
I had to repair it once. I've had absolutely _no_ problems with the EL2
body. This goes for electronics, mechanics & exterior. After twenty years
(seventeen of use) my Nikon gear still feels, looks, and works like new. (I
wish I'd bought some other lenses at the time.)
My M6 system was bought new and came without faults. I've had three bad
experiences with my M6, two small and one really annoying.
1. My batteries were emptied accidentally once or twice by pressure on the
shutter release in the camera bag. (I'm used to keeping the shutter cocked)
1. 2. The battery lid once almost came off by accident. It was in a city at
night, and I would have lost it if it had actually come off.
1. 3. The film advance lever on my M6 scrapes the paint off the camera
body. This was clearly noticeable already after two rolls of film, and I'm
now down to the bare metal. I have never experienced anything like this
with any other camera. I am not rough on my gear.
1.
I took the camera to my dealer, and then to the Norwegian importer where I
discussed the problem with the M6 repairman. Talking with him was not
assuring. He acknowledged the damage, tried another lever, and eventually
came around to accept my dealers advice to replace the camera top. He was
however, extremely reluctant, told me that this would take months to do,
and said that he did not think replacing the top would solve the problem.
Of course, the problem is _only_  cosmetics (Except for second hand value
and the pleasure of using well functioning mechanics). The repairman had no
other advice and was so negative to working on the camera that I simply
didn't trust him with it. of course I could have discussed it with
managers, but then I would eventually have had to leave my M6 for his
unwilling hands to work on.

In fairness to the product I know of nobody else who have had this problem.
When I shared this story with one of the largest Leica dealers in Norway,
he knowingly gave me the phone number of the "real" Leica repairman, who
had quit working with the importer and opened his own side business while
pursuing other interests. What I'd really like to do is to bring the camera
to Solms, or some other serious Leica representative.
I still use my M6, and I'm very happy with several aspects of it's
performance. Most importantly, I like the color reproduction of the
pictures. Almost as importantly I like the discreteness of the camera and
the size of the package. I often bring my M6 at situations where I'd feel
uncomfortable carrying an SLR. The situations where I miss autofocus or
auto exposure, are less important to me, and I would definitely buy another
M6 if I lost the one I have.

I am not enthusiastic with the Leica company's current direction of
development. I find exclusive editions to commemorate royal weddings
ridiculous and snobbish. Given the modest intensity of M-series development
I think the M6 should be sold at a lower price.

__
Tore