Subject: RE: Historic change for Leica?
From: Tore Larsen <tore@cs.uit.no>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 15:20:35 +0200

Hi,

- -----Original Message-----
From:	Gerard Captijn [SMTP:captyng@vtx.ch]
Sent:	Sunday, 29 June, 1997 09:53
To:	leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject:	Historic change for Leica?

<snip>

Leica is a niche market player who has
limited competition for its M products (Contax G2 only) but still many
competitors for its R products (Nikon FM2 and many other SLR's). They could
be better off to concentrate on where they are unique, i.e. the M-product
line. Marketing "wisdom" says that companies should concentrate on their
own
strengths rather than on the strong points of the competition.

I think this is a good point, that could possibly be even more strengthened
if we knew how much Leica spends on maintaining, developing and marketing
the two product lines.

As you indicate, the market staying power of the R8 remains to be seen.
Apple notebooks were huge sellers for a little while when they finally came
out.

<snip>

__
Tore