Subject: 35/1.4 ASPH M flare - was Re: M use
From: "Roger Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 09:31:04 -0700

On 23 Jul 97,  Henning J. Wulff wrote:

> The thing about this lens is that flare levels are extremely low wide
> open. I haven't figured out what exactly causes this flare problem at
> around 5.6, but if the sun  (or other bright area) is just out of the
> picture it can get quite bad; if the sun shines through the hole in the
> hood, the flare is at its worst. I was talking last week about this with
> Tom Abrahamsson, and he has noticed exactly the same phenomenon with his
> lens.

Like I said, I haven't noticed it, but I haven't specifically set up
testing at f 5.6 plus or minus. I shall do some shooting around that
aperture with the infamous AZ sun as my source. I'll try to induce the
flare w/o the hood, knowing full well that if it flares that way it
certainly would, also, when the sun is coming through the "hole in the
hood". Sounds like some kind of rap talk.   :-)

> Turning the hood 180 degrees is not what one should have to do with a
> $100 lens hood. Not that other camera companies are immune to putting out
> idiot products, but Leica, with its relatively small size, puts out a
> number of them. The finders for the wider lenses spring readily to mind.

Quite!
- --
Roger Beamon
       Naturalist & Photographer