Subject: Re: Dealer Recommendations
From: "Hans Pahlen" <hans.pahlen@mark.komvux.se>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 11:49:35 +0200

Selling used cameras via mail is a sensitive business. It is not easy to
describe a "scratch" or "a dent" over the phone. And we all have our
personal preferences for what we call a "users" body. We also know that t=
he
internals of an old Leica is a matter of judgement. I have met many deale=
rs
in different countries, that don=B4t recognize a shutter in great need of=
CLA. Sometimes, I have listened to the shutter sound over the phone... Bu=
t,
as long as a refund is possible, the buyer is protected.
=20
I have met many dealers, and I would say that the best ones are the ones
who don=B4t trade with the most battered bodies. These should be sold onl=
over the counter, and I know dealers who even refuse to trade them in.
Looking at the dent on the right side of the M3 sent to Ben Holmes, I wou=
ld
judge this top plate as a "junk" one, not suitable for selling via postal
order.=20
Yes, Mr Hansen, all these things can be described, as the stuck frame
counter, and the viewfinder in need of adjustment, etc. However, if I was=
dealer, I would never have been trading with a body like this. This is ho=
I see it. If this thread will continue, I think this is the principal
issue, not the character of those persons involved, or who said this or
that.

Having said this, I can understand Ben=B4s reaction when he saw the camer=
a.
But I can also understand Mr Hansens reaction, as the issue was brought t=
the LUG. Mr Hansen had fulfilled all his obligations as a dealer, as the
deal was cancelled.=20

I was prepared to leave this story behind me, but as I saw the personal
attacks against Ben Holmes, I thought they were unfair. After all, we all
know Ben since a long time for all his contributions to this list. I stil=
remember the "heartbeat trick", although I have not tried it yet. So, I a=
glad that you are with us, Ben!=20

Regards, Hans=20
Mail: hans.pahlen@mark.komvux.se
Home: http://www.komvux.mark.se/hp635.htm