Subject: Re: Camera Karma (4x5 Linhof, push DEL if not interested) LONG!
From: John Buford <jbuf@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 13:40:51 -0400

I have to agree with everthing that has been said about LF.  Ever since
I got a speed graphic at a flea market. I have had the bug.  I now have
a Calumet 8x10 field camera and it is great.  My friends have even said
to me that I have stopped talking so much about Leicas.  I have all
Linhof lenses on the speed, I am fortunate.  But the 8x10 is something
to behold, it is like watching television.  I find it so easy to compose
the image and see all the little details, things that get missed on 35mm
or medium format.  LF has opened my eyes to Black and white, which I
have not shot in 20 years.  I have gotten so swept up in this whole
thing that I have started photography classes so I can have a better
understanding of the technical aspects.  And finally learn the zone
system. While there is nothing that will ever cause me to get rid of the
M's and the R's Leicas, I see that I will be spending a lot of time
working with the big negs, just because it is so satisfying.  Some folks
take pictures because it pays them, others because they want to, I do it
because I have a real need to create. Other things, in my life, have
come and gone (including wives) but Photography is here to stay.

John