Subject: Re: Camera Karma
From: LeicaM13@aol.com
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 09:26:13 -0400 (EDT)

Jim:

That was a great story. You have rediscovered the fact that you are an
artist. Photography is only the vehicle to your inner vision. You may get the
same satisfaction with a pinhole camera. The Art Institute of Chicago buys
photographs made with pinhole cameras. Not just archival works by early
masters but contemporarys with a unique view of the world. I couldn't agree
with you more that a view camera is the joy to behold to capture a sizzling
sharp landscape or still-life. My first experience with large-format was with
a Speed Graphic and a cloudy 127mm Kodak Ektar. They were ablulutely some of
the most joyous moments behind a camera I've had. Something about the size
and the tripod get peoples respect. But in my opinion, subject  composition
and interpretation far outway the equipment used no matter what the
equipment, both camera and enlarger. Interpretation of the photograph is
manipulated many times in the process from brain to displayed print. I'm
truly happy for your rediscovery of large format but mostly for your
rediscovery of what makes you happy.

Keep up the happy work.

Sincerely,

Todd Jacobs<LeicaM13@aol.com>
Chicago

Thought for the day: Nothing great has ever been made as a result of rational
thought