Subject: Camera Karma (4x5 Linhof, push DEL if not interested) LONG!
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 23:52:52 -0700

This post is along the theme that Luiz, Roger, and others have brought up.
But this is a real story. It's around a 4x5 system so if you aren't
interested, stop reading and push delete.

I used 4x5 and 8x10 camera in the 60' and 70' for commercial photography. I
stopped doing commercial photography and got rid of all the LF & MF
equipment. I then used only 35mm, mostly for happy snaps, personal work,
and for self publishing projects. I have a large well equipped darkroom and
printed some of my personal work. I also use a local commercial lab for
some of my work. Over the years, I found that even when you use the very
best film (Velvia, Kodachrome 25), the very best lenses (100mm APO,
etc...), a million pound tripod, mirror lockup, comatose subject, you are
limited to 16x20 prints. 20x24's and larger just do not hold up. Many
subjects are OK but landscapes with sky, or other blank or low contrast
subjects, just start showing the film itself.

Over the years I got to know a few photographic gallery owners. One of
which is outstanding. Their bread and butter is 20x24 and larger. Most of
their photographers use large format cameras. Those few that use 35mm,
provide 11x14's and a few 16x20's. This gallery sells what I call "real"
photographs. Not something you have to attempt to interpret. Most are
Cibachrome (yeah I know, Ilfo...), the rest are Evercolor Pigment
transfer's. Bug buck stuff! Let me tell you, this is a "walk in the door
and drop dead" gallery. David & Marc Muench (30x40 Ciba's), John Wawrzonek
(Evercolor - he owns Evercolor), Steve Crouch (sp), and others. So after
years of visiting the gallery and getting to know the owner, I saw the
handwriting on the wall! In order to get into this gallery, I would have to
produce FLAWLESS GRAINLESS 30x40 Ciba's. Not possible with 35mm. Even a
Leica. Believe me!

This is the interesting part. I was contemplating getting back into the 4x5
world. My wife and I were going to Carmel for a week. Toyo was offering an
almost free rent/free film deal on the Toyo 4x5 field view. I went to
Keeble and Shuchat several weeks ahead to reserve the Toyo. I had talked to
several LF gallery shooters and many use Linhof Field cameras but I knew
they were out of my price range. David Muench uses a Linhof Master Technika
for his 4x5 work and a Leica for his 35mm work. Anyway... The Toyo was
booked that week. While standing there, feeling down, I looked up and there
on the shelf was not one, but two used Master Technika's. Yikes! I looked
at them, one was mint, the other about ex+ and had a new bellows. I went to
the general manager of K&S (John Clifton) and told him the story about the
Toyo and asked if I could rent one of the Linhofs. He said "let me talk to
the manager of the pro department." He did, and called me to say, "yes, but
I can make you an irresistable offer if you want to buy the ex+ camera." To
make a very long story shorter, I bought the camera which included a
"Linhof" 240mm Symmar-S MC. I rented a 150mm f/5.6 and a 90mm f/8 lens for
the Carmel trip. I shot about eight images (Velvia Quickloads) while at Pt.
Lobos, mostly re-learning my view camera skills. It's been a long time
since I tried to compose an upside down image. I was dumbfounded, all
images were right on. Not really outstanding compositions, they were tests,
but the blood was flowing and I was stoked.

I decided that I had to have f5.6 or better lenses. The f/8 90mm was too
dim for me. I decided that I wanted a 75mm, 120mm, and a 180mm to
compliment the 240mm that I had. I looked through Shutterbug and called
Midwest Photo (Tom) because they had a large Linhof listing. I said "I'm
looking for a used 75mm Rodenstock Grandagon f4.5, a 120mm Super Symmar HM
f5.6, and a 180mm Symmar S MC f5.6, all Linhof. Tom said "yeah right...
it's hard enough finding those lenses, much less a Linhof ver... wait a
minute, I have the 75mm and the 180mm right here. Imagine that! WOW, what
luck!" "However, the 120mm HM is really going to be difficult. They are
sometimes difficult to get new." I then called Columbus Camera Group and
said "Do you have used a 120mm Super Symmar HM?" and the answer was "I have
never seen a used 120 HM but I'll check..." "Well I'll be damned! I have one."

So I ask you, is there such a thing as Camera Karma? Was this meant to
happen? I'm never lucky. Never won anything. Yes I bought a Lotto ticket
and it didn't win anything. There's more...

I went back to Carmel last March and took all of my LF treasures. I took
only three photographs in a week. They are the finest three photographs I
have ever taken. I made 20x24's of each and, a couple of months later,
stopped by the gallery, just for grins, and the owner said WOW! Do some
more like these and we will indeed represent you. And we want these.

So there you have it. I don't know I got here. I don't have the foggiest
idea why the Linhof, the lenses, the images, all happened in synchrony. But
I have an idea. If you have a vision, and you feel like it's right, and you
go for it, the vibes you put out can help make it happen. But I think this
Linhof and lenses were destined to find me. And the images are a result of
the inner feeling that when I'm using this equipment, we are one.

Even my wife is excited about the images and often says "when are you going
to do more 4x5 stuff." This has never happened before! I don't know how to
handle this spousal attitude!!!

Jim