Subject: Re: M use
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 18:33:03 -0800

>>At 07:53 PM 7/21/97 +0200, Bert wrote:
>>>
>>>I *always* use the lens hood, using a lens hood is the best & cheapest way
>>>to improve optical performance.
>>>
>>>Bert
>>>

>Hi Bert,
>
>"cheap" for a $80 plastic Leica lens hood is maybe the wrong word?
>
>Detlef

With respect to lenshoods; my 35/1.4 asph. came with the early 'clip-on,
fall-off' hood. After it fell off 6 times the first week I had it, I
decided a $5.00 repair was in order. I bought a screw-in 46mm rubber hood,
and trimmed the rubber to avoid physical vignetting. I have since seen the
new version of the hood, but find that in addition to being very
inexpensive, the rubber hood has cured the lens of its most serious
performance defect - the bad flair at critical angles at apertures around
5.6. This flair is exacerbated by the viewfinder cutout in the Leica made
hood.

   *           Henning J. Wulff
  /|\     Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\      henningw@archiphoto.com