Subject: Re: Collapsing Elmar catches on rangefinder roller
From: Richard Clompus <rclompus@voicenet.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 12:27:46 -0400

Iain wrote:

<snip>
>When I collapse my new 50mm Leica Elmar f2.8 lens, the rear part of the
lens tube catches on the (Leica M6) camera body's rangefinder roller.  Has
anyone else found this?  What's the cure?
<snip>

I thought I was the only one who experienced this phenomenon.  I have a
"new" (one year old) chrome 50mm Elmar I use with two M6 bodies.  My lens
does the same thing.  I only contacts the rangefinder "roller" a wee little
bit when the lens is retracted into the M body.  It has never gotten stuck.
 Interestingly when I mount the same Elmar lens on my M3 body, it doesn't
touch the roller at all.

Must be the build specifications for the M6 camera.  It annoys me but is
not a functional problem.  I guess Leica can't measure 1/1000's of a
millimeter as well as they could back in the 1960's.

Richard
Richard Clompus, OD
West Chester, PA, USA