Subject: Re: 9.5x12 paper size (was: print washer)
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 10:21:40 -0700

Thanks, Christoph, for the reply re paper-

Contact sheets w/ 8x10 and even 8 1/2x11 always look so *cramped*. Also,
they give you a landscape format on 6 frame negative strips, when portrait
format is ideal for filing in a three ring binder.

My solution to the size problem is to use 11x14 paper and cut 4 /12 inches
off the 14 inch length. The resulting 9 1/2 by 11 inch paper is wide enough
for 6 frame negs (portrait format) and long enough for the occasional 7th
strip when you get 37 shots on a roll. I three-hole punch the contact sheet
on the 11 inch right-hand side. Then when I open my binder, the contact
sheet is on the left and the neg sheet (7 strips of 6 frames per strip) is
aligned on the right exactly like the contacts. Once filed like this,
contacts and negs are always in order and very simple to review.

Thanks for the import info on paper, but I doubt that with shipping the
price would be less than the approx $35 cost of 11x14 (50 sheets) typically
available by mail order. The "waste" 4 1/2x11 inch paper is a nice panorama
size or becomes two approx 4x5 sheets for small prints.

I have used this system since working in Europe with that wonderful 24x30cm
size. It has been a very simple and efficient way of filing, and I hope all
this info will benefit some LUGer out there with a pile of unsorted negs
and contacts.

Gary Todoroff