Subject: Re: Fixer Question
From: Welch <Bill.Welch@pressroom.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 15:35:34 -0700

Richard Clompus wrote:

> Dear Fellow LUGnuts,
>
> Since I am spemding more time in the darkroom, I now have a question about
> fixers for paper.  I find myself using more RC paper because its easier to
> process.  Please pardon my ignorance but is it beneficial to use a
> hardening or non-hardening fixer?

Richard, interesting question. I have always assumed as the others who replied have that
none was necessary. I only used hardened fixer for film.

But, just in the last few weeks I have noticed that the notes on the Sprint fixer I use
for prints recommend adding their hardener solution when using RC papers. I've been
using a lot of the new Kodak Polymax II RC paper lately and have gotten some emulsion
scratches that I hadn't experienced before with the Ilford product I used. I haven't yet
tried adding the hardener for paper, but I may give it a try soon.

I agree with others on Permawash: I always use it for fiber but never for RC. However,
perhaps using a hardened fixer would change that.

Regards,

Bill