Subject: Mounting Prints
From: uskanb2n@ibmmail.com
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 10:56:39 EDT

DO NOT USE SPRAY GLUE TO MOUNT EXHIBITION PRINTS UNLESS YOU WANT THEM TO
SELF DESTRUCT! If I remember correctly, it is an acrylic stickum much
like on scotch tape, and we all know what that does to photos over the
years.

In a recent issue of Photo Techniques, there was an article on mounting
prints including some discussion with museum conservators. The
conclusion was that thermal dry mounting was the most trouble free
method: Hinged mounting or mounting with corners, often allows the print
to buckle under the window mat and contact the glass to which the
emulsion can stick... causing potentially severe damage to the prints.

The conservators seemed to prefer dry mount products with a tissue layer
such as Seal Archival Mount or Color Mount as opposed to the stuff which
is just a very thin sheet of thermoplastic which is much more difficult
to remove if it becomes necessary.

If I remember correctly, Archival Mount is the safest to use, as it is a
lower temperature product than Color Mount, and therefore gives you a
little more wiggle room in having the press hot enough to make a good
bond without being so hot it melts the plastic layers of the print...

The window mat should, of course be attached with linen hinges...
'Though I hate to admit it, I have sent out more than one print where
the mount board and the window mat were held together only by the
frame...

                                       - John Lowther.