Subject: loupes
From: uskanb2n@ibmmail.com
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 1997 10:27:39 EDT

I am a bit unorthodox on loupes: I use junk box 50mm f:1.8 & f:1.4
lenses for loupes. They come out about 4x, the f:1.4s give a nice full
frame view with glasses. You do need to hold them up from the light
table by hand... but at prices varying from free (if the dealer likes
you) to about $10, you can buy several of these clunkers for the price
of even a much inferior purpose made loup. And dozens for the price of
one of the (admittedly superb) Schneider aspherics

Unfortunately I have never found a Leica lens (not even a battered 50mm
Elmar) in a junk box...
                                       - John Lowther.