Subject: Re: Incident Meters and such
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 19:13:45 -0800

ted grant wrote:
>The R8 without question is just
> amazing, honest no BS here. I have been fiddling that meter back and forth, from
> spot to Multi pattern (matrix) to the Intregal (centered weighted) and it is
> right time after time. The only time there is a screwed-up exposure has been
> when I didn't believe it and fiddled! :)

> And in most of these situations you just couldn't get an incident reading, so it
> really helps to have the camera so accurate.

Ted:

Good news.  I would love to be able to eleminate so much bracketing or
snip testing and have some confidence.  so far only the incident meter
cmes close.

Monday I start shooting white boats on blue water (yes, with guys and
gals in swimsuits for you voyeurs) and depending on how much of the boat
fills the frame the exposure can vary up to a stop and a half.  Set on
program I would have exposures all over the map. So incident and snip.
Of course I am usually shooting two or three rolls a scene with same
light.

The amazing thing about the hawk and sunlight on water scene I mentioned
earlier is that even though the sparkling water covered the entire
frame, that in matrix metering it knew enough to open up.  I am curious
about snow scenes now, and if I get back to Crater Lake I'm going to
check snow and matrix against incident.  The F5 is supposed to be able
to read white snow, blue sky etc.  Maybe the R8 has another secret.  In
your case, Ted, maybe it is the user.

Donal Philby
Medford, Oregon