Subject: Re: M-6 Meter battery
From: "Charles E. Albertson" <chucko@ricochet.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 09:03:01 -0700

At 10:29 PM 7/11/97 -0700, you wrote:
>I understand that slight presure on the release can cause the meter to
>be 'on' all the time.  Maybe the case is applying pressure here.
>
>I also understand that placing the speed on B will turn off the meter.
>You could try storing leaving the speed on B when not in active use.
>
>All the above is from faint memory so perhaps others can offer better
>tests and solutions to the problem.

	That continues to be my experience with the M6, and is my standing gripe
about the camera's design. It would be really nice if the next iteration of
the M6 had the meter switched on by pulling the film advance lever out from
the body, and switched off by returning the lever to its "closed" position.
They did it with the CL, and it's also a feature of my Nikon FM2.
	About all you can do to prevent battery drain in the camera bag is leave
the shutter uncocked when you toss it in the bag, or leave the shutter
speed set at "B" -- neither of which are very convenient if you have to get
the bugger out for a quick shot. And always carry a set of spare batts.

Chuck Albertson
Seattle, Wash.