Subject: Re: Titanium Leica M6
From: Paul Schliesser <paulsc@eos.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 97 22:22:36 -0400

> Looking through the M6 brochure, it seems like the silver lenses weigh
> more than the black counterparts. Does that mean that the silver lenses
> have more brass and are therefore more durable and better constructed?
> Does anyone have an opinion on this lens matter?

Ray,

The black lenses mostly have aluminum mounts. The chrome lenses are brass
which is nickle plated (for corrosion protection), then chrome plated.
Aluminum cannot be chrome plated, so the heavier brass is used. Some of
the larger lenses (like the 90 Summicron) are a LOT heavier in chrome.

Unless you really beat on them, I don't think that there is much
practical difference between them other than weight and cosmetics. They
are pretty.

- - Paul