Subject: Model Releases
From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 1997 00:34:14 -0400

Dear LUG,

For my commercial and advertising work I obtain model releases in order
to publish those photos. When I worked for a daily paper we would obtain
photo IDs, or if it was a public event it was considered in the public
domain and releases were not necessary.

My question concerns my personal work with my Leicas where I'm wandering
doing street photography. This evening I was doing candids at a local
Independence Day street fair and the other evening at a local fireman's
carnival. In both cases people were not aware they were being
photographed. Especially the large woman with the crosses tatooed on her
forearms smoking a cigarette. I would like to eventually post them to a
web page of personal work and possibly publish them in a book. My
personal work is well-received by friends and acquaitances who encourage
me to have a show, sell them, publish them, etc. Can I do this without
releases?

The whole idea of getting releases degrades and slows down the candid
nature of my work. In addition, when you start shoving legal mumbo-jumbo
at the uninformed they have no idea what's going on or they think they
deserve big bucks. On the other hand, I understand Bruce Davidson got
permission and/or releases when he did his Central Park series for his
book on same.

I use the Leicas and my street photography to get away from the whole
notion of photography as work or a job. A means of rediscovering what
moves me and what I truly love about it instead of what a client wants.
Why does it always have to get so complicated?

Your valued insights and opinions are welcome and appreciated.

Carl Socolow