Subject: Re: The Summarit
From: Arnold Don Abravanel <useless@ibm.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 1997 09:56:37 -0700

At 08:55 AM 7/6/97 -0400, you wrote:
>pgs@thillana.lcs.mit.edu (Patrick Sobalvarro)
>
>Patrick,
>
>I've been using the 50mm 1.5 Summarit for more years than I care to count. My
>only complaint was its tight precision. I returned it to Leitz early on and
>they loosened it enough so I could focus it while using the RF/viewfinder.
>
>I judge a lens not by comparison with others but with my own expectations.
>There the Summarit has never failed me. If you use that square metal lens
>shade with the cutout for viewing, it does its job, no matter what the film
>or the conditions.
>
>My Summarit is also a great portrait lens, having remarkable control of
>color. It doesn't permit anything to go wild. Team a Summarit with fast B&W
>and you can enlarge to your heart's content. The negative holds together
>despite the grain. In fact, the Summarit has that Leitz authenticity. You can
>see it in the prints.
>
>A clean, well-maintained Summarit is a joy to use. It's got the weight, but
>it also has the pipes. You want to play Bach, you need an instrument that has
>the deep voice and power to do it.
>In optical terms, that's the Summarit.
>
>Bob

Your post has encouraged me to start using the summarit that I own. I have
been using a 50 summicron, as it was a little lighter, and because I did not
have a lense shade or a lense cap for the summarit and was concerned with
damaging the front element. It looks like I will have make these purchases
and start to use and enjoy. I hope other Lugers will give their experiences
with this lense.

Thanks for your post.

Arnold