Subject: Re: Nova Scotia
From: ted grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 04 Jul 97 00:08:02 EDT

Bill wrote:

<<I will be on vacation in Nova Scotia, Canada this summer.  Can anyone
recommend what to see.  What is Cape Breton like?>>>>>

Bill,

Looks like you picked a winner of a place for a vacation.:)  It's gorgeous
country and seaside and old fishing villages, the Thomas Edison museum (Cape
Breton Island) and breath taking scenics of the land and sea.

After you reach the top of Cape Breton Island and start down the west coast
highway there are scenics from high points looking south that will blow you away
with the highway winding down the side of the ocean. Best in the afternoon and
early evening sunset. Can be beautiful golden light! :)

You should be able to get great sunrises on the east coast as you go north.
This is definately not a location to "dine and dash!" :)  You should be able to
come back with some very memorable photography and if it goes foggy on you, it
probably will, don't despair, get out real quick early in the morning and make
use of it.  Beautiful kind of weather/light/shooting conditions.

If there is a real good blow and the Atlantic is pounding the shore line with
what appear to be wonderfully giant pictorial waves,
"DO NOT GET TOO CLOSE TO THE WAVES BREAKING ON THE ROCKS!!"  They may look
pretty and make awesome pictures but one big one and you could have taken your
last best picture!

Just thought I'd throw that in as a caution, as I was on assignment for the
government tourist office a few years ago shooting at Peggy's Cove in Nova
Scotia. When two tourists who thought it was great fun to be splashed from the
waves were caught and swept out to sea and lost. Real quick time!!!

If you're not from the coastal area, you may not be aware of how easily you can
be swept off the shore when the big ones are pounding in.

Have a good and safe one! :)

ted
Victoria, Canada
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant