Subject: Re: R8, first impressions of an amateur
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 21:48:53 -0700

> From: ted grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
>
> By the way talking about books. I believe you were mentioning HCB's
"Europeans".
> Sandy has found several copies for sale!
>
> That's the good news! :)
>
> The bad news! :( prices vary between $600.00 and a $1000.00 per copy and
we are
> talking "used books!"

About three months ago a used book seller checked his current catalog which
listed "The Europeans" for $350. Above prices may be negotiable, but $350
is still steep. I just found HCB's "Man and Machine" for $15 - some water
damage in corner of some pages kept price down, but photos are great.

Also found "The Human Face of Europe" (1960) recently. It has a few of
HCB's plus many great shots in the Leica photo-reportage tradition. I was
especially impressed by the examples from Stefan Moses and Thomas Hoepker.
The book is in perfect shape and was only $5 - a great find for the
collection. Also found "The Leica Book in Color" by Anton Baumann (1938) at
a Portland, Oregon swap meet about a year ago, also for only $5 and in
great condition with some wonderfully nostalgic early Kodochromes. There
are some bargains still out there - you could build quite a Leica oriented
collection with a $350 budget!

Happy garage sale/bookstore hunting!

Gary Todoroff