Subject: Re: Evidence of a Contax/Leica partnership?
From: dannyg1@IDT.NET (Danny Gonzalez)
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 1997 18:26:06 -0400 (EDT)

>>given the considerable success of the G line and Contax's
stellar G lens performers, they don't need any help from Leica
whatsoever.  Given the fact that the G series is already decades ahead of
the M series in terms of technology, I highly doubt that Leica would have
anything to gain by giving up its own claim to fame -- that is, its
proven vintage design -- by farming out the M lens mount and sacrificing
its exclusivity. <<<

Not that it proves my point, but the last time that Leica partnered with a
company, in order to gain SLR patents, they traded M compatibility
specifically. I believe that Minolta's reputaton gained a great deal of
strength, and the R series cameras have done alot for Leica's reputation as
well.

The R8 already seems to be dependant upon Contax patents, Pascal's news of
an AF R8.2 does seem to point toward a Contax/Leica agreement. What
would/did Contax gain from it?

Danny Gonzalez