Subject: Evidence of a Contax/Leica partnership?
From: dannyg1@IDT.NET (Danny Gonzalez)
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 1997 04:14:09 -0400 (EDT)

>Leica has a camera that equals the best Japanese ones, and
>actually surpasses them in some ways (e.g. built-in flashmeter).
>
>Pascal

Pascal,

After first handling the R8 at the Viscomm NYC show (in Oct.96??), I posted
the strong impression that this camera was based on the Contax AX and my
suspicion that this would be an AF design. Soon after, rumors started
flying of a possible Contax/Leitz connection. Your latest postings are
starting to leave a couple of heavy hints of a very possible Contax/Leica
partnership.

1: The Contax RTS III (and possibly the AX) is the only camera to feature a
built in studio flashmeter; other than the R8. Leica is already using an
exclusive Contax feature.

2: The R8 is suspiciously deep. Your postings confirm Leica's intention to
make the R8 an AF body. Only Contax has the necessary technology available
to make that a reality currently. Leica would have to, at least, rent the
patents (or trade for them). I believe (though pure speculation) that
Contax would very much like to have earned a Leica association and would
likely trade the AF technology for the right to make a G series camera with
an M mount.

The R8's slimmer side proportions lead me to think that Leica will leave
the film cannister and takeup spools fixed, instead of moving as the AX
does. It'll make the camera smaller, but will mess up frame spacing as the
film plane moves farther.

I'm interested in hearing any other hints that Leica and Contax may already
be cooperating. If there were to be a 'marriage', I suppose the rumor
would've been harder to get rid of than it has been, but wasn't B. Zeigler
talking about an imminent, varifocal 'zoom-like' lens for the G cameras
last year? Sound familiar?

Best,
Danny Gonzalez