Subject: Re: R8, first impressions of an amateur
From: ted grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 29 Jun 97 13:19:00 EDT

Elliot wrote:

<<<<Was abit disappointed.  Is it my imagination, or is the camera a bit clunky
and akward to hold and use.  Of course, I'm comparing it to my older R5. >>>>>

Hi Elliot,

Your disappointment will soon vanish as soon as you get out with film loaded and
start shooting!!!  You'll find you have the machine of your life in your hands!
:)

<<<Realize the metering is probably better, but still wonder how often the "
integral " setting and matrix program is really used.>>>>>>

I have not switched one to the other very often, but this is what you'll find:
If you prefer a slightly more saturated transparency shoot everything on
intregal.  If you like them sightly lighter, go multi-pattern!

This may not be the way Leica envisioned the scenes to be metered and
photographed, but it falls into the "KISS" simplicity.

"Keep it Simple Stupid":

You like them darker - intregal!  You like them lighter - multi-pattern!
And quite frankly both exposures are correct! I shoot for my personal preference
of a sligtly more saturated slide, so I bang away everything on Intregal. :) And
I really need to keep everything on the "KISS" principal! :)  So far the
metering is the best I've ever experienced with an in camera metering system.

<<<Also, haven't used the flash yet, but the instruction booklet explaining how
to use such flash settings could certainly be improved!>>

I agree whole heartedly! This is one segment that Leica missed in a "simplicity"
description unfortunately,  as the flash sync speed and control through the SCA
3501 is a very big feature of the camera.

<<<<has anyone enough experience with the new 3000 series and the R8 to give
some comments and guidance.>>>>>

I use the Metz 40Mz-2 and the Leica recommended SCA 3501 adapter and it works
wonders for a "non-flash" shooter like me. I'm still learning and have to be
re-trained daily, (Donal is going to give me in-house lessons in SD) however if
I get the camera set on "T" with shuter speeds no higher than 1/250 and the
adapter set for a -minus 2 the flash fill works quite well. That doesn't make me
like flash any better, but it certainly works. :)

<<Have you used the R8?  Opinion versus the R5 and later?>>>>>>>

There is only one opinion, the R8 is so far a head of all the other R bodies it
stands completely above them!

I've got close to seven months on mine at present and when the motors are
available I've got two more on order. And that can't come as any better
recommendation than from an old fart like me! :)

Use it and you'll love it!

ted
Victoria, Canada
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant