Subject: Ecuador vs. Brasil, my apology to the LUG
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 8:52:34 -0500

I'm apologize for Luiz and I getting off on a non-Luggers thread.   My
only intent in the original posting had been to remind people that
there is a global market for film based technology.  Even if the US
(and Brasil) become nearly completely digital, there will still be
demand for film in many other locations.   I personally don't see even
the US consumer market completely switching.  But I've been wrong
before.

Brasil and Ecuador are two different countries.  As are virtually any
two you might choose.  As Luiz said, all have problems and it is really
a matter of where you look.   I would rather live in a relatively poor
neighborhood in Quito than a few sections of gangland Chicago I've
visited.

Chile came to play Ecuador two weeks ago as part of the World Cup
qualifications.  The Chilean photographers were easy to spot as they
all had the latest EOS Digital cameras and the big glass.  There are
two other Ecuadorian photographers besides myself who use EOS1n's.  A
few  use worn  but most use old manual focus , Canons,  and .  It was a
serious zoo on the field and rather frustrating to work with a hundred
others trying to lean in to get a better shot.

Viva Ecuador!

Duane Birkey