Subject: Re: Is it CNN or memorex.???
From: Luiz Otavio Marinho <lmarinho@br2001.com.br>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 07:49:31 -0300

=20
Sorry for my poor English...

>Duane Birkey
>HCJB World Radio  WROTE:
>Quito Ecuado=20

>I've based my observations on having lived (and currently living) in=20
>Latin America for 5 years.  I have yet to see anyone in either Costa=20
>Rica or Ecuador use a Leica.  Most of the Ecuadorian press use old beat=20
>up cameras with no name lenses.  A few have usage of the latest=20
>autofocus cameras mostly middle of the line models, but those are often=20
>owned by the newspapers.   I've worked quite a few futbol (soccer)=20
>games and a few press conferences and have talked with photographers,=20
>so I know. =20

 Sorry, You don=B4t know nothing... Go to a Soccer game here and you will se=
the latest camera models in the 1=B0 world. Unless you don=B4t
consider EOS-1n or F5 a modern camera.=20

>There may  be a lot of gold, oil and banana in the amazon, but very few=20
>people control that wealth.  In Ecuador some 800,000 people live in=20
>extreme poverty.   Probably another 2 million live in poverty and all=20
>but a relative few are marginally better than that.   I don't know the=20
>stats for Brazil, but I doubt it's much better.=20

 Yes, I agree with you again, you don=B4t know nothing about our country.=20
 Is U.S.A =3D Mexico? we are not EQUADOR, we are BRAZIL...
 Maybe we have 1 million or 2 in poverty, but we still be 50 million.

>I been in a number of=20
>"middle class" homes of professionals and quite a few shacks with dirt=20
>floors.  Even professional accountants and teachers are barely=20
>surviving with everyone working and have very little disposable income.=20
> And of all the doctors I've met, none has a truly late model camera.=20

 Of Course, Have you been to the Bronx in NY? "Middle Class"??? I'am
Middle Class here, and I only see dirty floors and shacks in the country
side. Are you talking about our cities or Amazon Jugle???

>One of the richest families in the world lives in Ecuador.  Does that=20
>mean the masses can afford a  digital camera?   No way!  There are=20
>hundreds of thousands of people in Ecuador  who do not have running=20
>water, let alone a telephone,  It's really 4th world, not even third. =20

=20
 Yes, I need to say, I live on a tree, I take bath on a River, and Walk
like a Monkye(with my Leica on my shoulder). You are talking about poor
people, You are not talking about Photography Consumers. Do you think that
Illegal Imigrants in U.S.A Could have a Telephone?
 We are 50 million, Could you understand? Why don=B4t you talk about China?
About that poverty...    =20

>I've seen a couple of Ferraris here and lot's of BMW's and Mercedes. =20
>Unfortunately enough, many were purchased with less than honest sources=20
>of income or as a result of drug money laundering in=20
>"legitimate"business.   Not everyone is corrupt of course and fortunes=20
>have been made from soaring land values, lumber, flowers and other=20
>trade.=20

 Yes, you are right again. Here we sell drugs to buy Ferraris, BMW=B4s,
Leicas, ETC...=20
 That=B4s why Toyota, Crysler, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, and others BIG Companies
are building factories in Brazil. Maybe they are building factories here to
export cars to europe,U.S.A., or Equador... Who Knows??? The population
don=B4t have money to buy CCD Cameras...=20
 China must be the poorest country in the world, they use Bikes instead of
Cars.

>Most  Latin Americans I've seen take pictures are still using 126 and=20
>110 or a disposable and they shoot maybe one roll of film a year.  =20
>Some have cheap fixed focus 35mm Kodaks etc.

 Try to find a 110 or 126 film here and I will give you another Leica body
for Free.=20
=20
>Most of the indigenous=20
>peoples have never taken a photo and a few have a small handful of=20
>photos in their possession.=20

 In Amazon Jugle we have a lot of people who never saw a camera before.

>Most "professional studios"  are far less=20
>equipped with far older EQ than the majority of  U.S. serious amateurs.=20
> I see a lot of "pro's" who have one camera, an old Minolta or Canon=20
>with a 50mm and a cheap vivitar 2000 or 2900 flash.    =20

 Come here and I will show you the latest in Digital Studios... Do you know
how much an M6 costs here in a store? U$ 3.500 Body,=20
F5 U$ 4.950 Body, Hasselblad 501CX outfit U$ 4.500.00, A Grand Cherroke
Limited U$ 73.000.00, a Jipee Wangler Sport U$ 39.000.00, ETC...
 And we still buying this... And in a good number, because BIG Companies
are Building Factories here.

>Luis is obviously doing well enough to be able to afford a Leica. =20
>Enjoy it.=20

 Thanks. I will.
 =20
>It's easy to think that with much of the yet undeveloped=20
>natural wealth that Latin America has, that it is not "third world". =20
>There are sections of Ecuador, Brazil and others that are as developed=20
>as any place in the world.
=20
 Great Conclusion!!!

>But sadly that is often the exception.  It=20
>is difficult for the upper class here to see the needs of the lower=20
>classes even though it is painfully obvious.  They won't even give them=20
>a first glance nor recognize their presence.
>They treat the average=20
>worker like dirt.  =20

 Oh, Life in the 3=B0 world is far from the best. Are you American? If you
are look to that Cubans, Chineses, Afro-Americans, Mexicans, who works in
your country without rights, without Visa. Look to that Drugdealers, to
that poor people on the streets.  All the World has problens...
Don=B4t try to show our problem hiden your problem.
Do SOMENTHING LIKE SEBASTI=C3O SALGADO!!! BUT SHOW THE PROBLENS AND TRY TO
FIND A SOLUTION!!

>Much of Latin America and the world faces poverty,=20
>be thankful for the wealth you have.

 Thank God!!!=20

=20
P/S Please, Don=B4t try to compare Equador with Brazil, This is like
comparing Mexico with U.S.A., Bronx with Manhattan, Brazil with Canada=
 Etc...=20
=20
 Could I live 5 years in Mexico and talk about U.S.A? NO!!! Because Mexico
is near to U.S.A. but is very different...
 =20
 We are not BOLIVIA
            COSTA RICA
            EQUADOR
            CHILE
            ARGENTINA(a big country too.)
            VENEZUELA

 WE ARE BRAZIL, NOTHING MORE, NOTHING LESS!!!
=20
 AND IF ANY OTHER PERSON CALL MY COUNTRY 3=B0 WORLD I WILL BE HERE TO=20
DEFEND MY HONOR, BECAUSE I'M A BRASILIAN AND I'M PROUD.

 SORRY TO ALL AMERICANS IN THAT LIST BUT SOME GUYS THINK WE ARE MONKYES OR
DRUGDEARLES ONLY BECAUSE WE LIVE IN LATIN AMERICA...=20

 Luiz Otavio Marinho
 S=E3o Paulo - Brazil