Subject: Re: Leica-Users List Digest V1 #517
From: Jim Zietz <jzietz@unix1.sncc.lsu.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 08:54:37 -0500

>From: "Douglas McLernon" <dmcl@iol.ie>
>Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 12:21:53 +0100
>Subject: digital
>
>Douglas McLernon
>Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland
>E-mail - Economic<Douglas.McLernon@tcd.ie>
>Personal <dmcl@iol.ie>
>
> I agree with Marc. Digital imaging has a long way to go before it replac=
>es
>film. I do believe however that the way to go is photographic film scanni=
>ng
> printed by the new technology. I'm lucky enough to have access to about
>=A330,000 worth of scanner - laser colour printer (bought for a micro bio=
>logy
>project with European funds -- and the guy goes to Cambridge -so nobody
>else uses it. Colour neg. scans better than transparencies. Unfortunately=
>do quite a bit of MF work and the scanner only takes 35mm.=20

I would agree that film has a ways to go, but my experience with color
negative film has been quite different.

I get my best scans from color transparency film. The scans from color
negatives show every defect in the film. Color neg film tends to scratch
easier than any other material I use. Also, I get more noise in the darker
tones with color negative material.

What scanner are you using? I am using a Leafscan 45 on formats from 35mm
up to 4x5. I am about to get a scanner just for 35mm (like the Super
Coolscan) and I am wondering if there is one that may be optimized for
color negatives, as the Leaf is definitely not.

This may be a bit off subject, but about 40% fo the 35mm pix that I scan
are taken with Leicas.