Subject: Re: film not dead in 20 years....
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 18:05:42 -0800

Bill Welch wrote:
 Kodak is taking a hit right now on
> its APS system, which it saw as a bridge to the digital future. The business press
> reports Kodak will take down a big loss on its books from the system's marketplace
> failures. APS is going through its second or third marketing restart.

Coming back from the PMA show in Las Vegas year before last I was
sitting on plane next to an English rep for some of the processing
machinery.  She said what this is all about (APS) is that the mini lab
is dying,   The demand for 60 minute processing is not that strong and
all the manufacturers needed to find a way to sell more equipment.  And
the use of photography (which means amateur, of course) is apparently
has little growth potential, except by manufacturing obsolescence.

There are some advantages, of course, but the bottom line is to sell
costly machinery.

It is a hard sell.

Donal Philby
San Diego