Subject: Re: film not dead in 20 years....
From: Bill Welch <Bill.Welch@pressroom.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 18:36:27 -0700

> I think that biggest danger to the long term existance of film is the
> issue of the environment and chemistry. I understand that this is the
> main reason that there is now only one Kodachrome lab in North America
> (Kodachrome is the most complex film to process and uses the largest
> number of individual chemicals of any film that I know of). With
> increased concern and regulation, I think that this will be the thing
> that will eventually kill film for the masses. I also think that, long
> term, storing any kind of information on film or paper will start to be
> perceived as extravagant and wasteful.

I don't think that's right about Kodachrome, is it? I know there's a K line in
Rockville, just outside DC, and I was under the impression Kodak still runs several
others, including in Texas. If I'm wrong, perhaps our more knowledgable LUGs can set me
straight. Also, Kodak just announced its new simplified Kodachrome processing line
intended to open a new minilab type market for this wonderful film. Inconsistent
processing and slow turnaround time is its big problem.

As for the paperless future, didn't we hear that years ago, and yet we still drown in
tree pulp in most homes and offices? Put me down as a skeptic.

At risk of repeating others on the digital future, I am convinced film will maintain a
strong presence alongside the undeniable march of pixels. An intermarriage of the two is
obviously well underway now with film capture/digital manipulation and either digital or
traditional output. And aside from that, I think there will be a strong and dedicated
following for film as an art medium for some time. Pens and oils survived the arrival of
the camera.

That said, digital is coming faster than many would have predicted. It's still a toy
that produces lousy resolution at the consumer price level. But at the high (dollar)
end, pixels are providing sufficient quality for many uses, with big payoffs in speed
and sometimes cost. I am repeatedly startled by some of the new digital things I see.

But ultimately we don't know what the future holds. Kodak is taking a hit right now on
its APS system, which it saw as a bridge to the digital future. The business press
reports Kodak will take down a big loss on its books from the system's marketplace
failures. APS is going through its second or third marketing restart. No signs yet our
35mm is being betamaxed. (Is my use of cyberjargon correct, Ben? :))

But what the heck. Maybe we're all wrong. I'll hang on to my Leica and start stockpiling
Tri-X and D76.

Regards to all,

Bill Welch