Subject: Re: Incident meter Q's
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 11:37:02 -0700

At 08:41 PM 6/15/97 -0600, you wrote:
>I'm looking to buy an incident meter and would like some guidance from those
>who use them. In particular I'm interested in the Sekonic L-328 & L-318.
>Anybody have experience with either? Care to share? Also, any other brands
>or models of note? Please, nothing I can't buy new, today.
>
>Sorry off topic, but I've found this to be THE clearing house for accurate
>information on items such as this.
>

>Regards,
>

>Ben W. Holmes

Ben,

I use a Gossen Luna-Star F (current model is the F2) and a Sekonic Studio
Deluxe. The Gossen not only does normal ambient, mixed, flash, & ratios,
but you can enter filter factors, bellows factors, anything that changes
the amount of light that reaches the film, which will automatically be
computed into the reading. That way you don't have to remember to compute
it yourself, manually, after you take a reading. I suspect that the Sekonic
digital & the Minoltas also do this. I have had my Sekonic Studio Deluxe
meter for decades. It doesn't use batteries. It's always there. And it
always works. The Sekonic was my only incident meter for years but now I
use it mostly as a backup when the Gossen battery gives up, and I don't
have a spare. I also use it as a sanity check when I'm having trouble
believing what I'm reading with the Gossen. Neither the Gossen or the
Sekonic have ever let me down. The F2 will also take a 2 degree spot meter
attachment.

Jim